Tuesday, October 2, 2012

me + politics = bleh

i have a long list of things that hold a monstrous amount of importance to me.  i love Jesus, like an earth shattering amount.  i couldn't imagine going through each day without the presence of my Savior.  i love my husband.  i love my boys.  i love my family...immediate, in-laws, all of them.  a bunch.   i love to create yummy goodness within the four walls of my tiny kitchen.   when i am there it is one place i talk to the Lord, and i often dump my bucket to Him while i am preparing food.  i love music.  i am addicted to it.  i love dreaming of what could be. 

this list is just the start of my list of biggies.  there are loads of things that bring me joy.  politics, however, is not on my list.  at this point, being october 2, i am pretty much over the scene.  i know, there is another month of commercials, debates, opinions, conversations, commentaries, blah, blah, blah. 

i get weary of all the promises and garbage that is shoveled.  i am tired of all the political facebook posts, discussions, and banter.  don't get me wrong, healthy banter and conversations are a good thing, i have just had my fill.  i am also tired of the slam of each candidate as well as people sticking up for "their guy" to the point of ridiculousness.  we don't really know either of the candidates.  we are not personal friends, have not spent quality time with either of them, shared a meal, gone shopping, attended church, or gabbed on the phone. all we know is what we read, observe, and are spoon-fed by the media.   and yes, we have to make an educated decision on all of this.  bleh. 

now please don't label me as anti-american of anything like that.  i love our country.  i love what it was founded on.  i am proud to be an american.  i embrace our freedoms, and am grateful.  the thing is, everyone has a history or past that shapes who they are, and for me, as a Christ-follower, i come to the table of politics with that conviction first.  God is my starting point, and everything in my life stems from that (or at least that is my attempt).  because my belief is rooted in Jesus, He is the one i look to for help, healing, deliverance, and provision.  He is the only one that truly cares for everyone in our country, and even more so, everyone on our planet. 

yes, we need to vote on the next president.  yes, life will continue if the guy we didn't vote for wins and governs our country for the next 4 years.  however, our next president will not save us from our financial, physical, or spiritual woes.  the only One that can be our comforter, provider, healer, and counselor is Jesus!  as a christian, i need to do my part as an american, but even with greater zeal i must tell be an example of who Christ is in order to draw people to Him.

well, enough of that. 

i would much rather talk about other things, like, i made roasted acorn squash with dinner tonight.  AMAZING!  first of all, acorn squash are so cute.  squatty, and green with splotches of orange.  i love when they appear in the produce section!  total cuteness.  ok, cut the squash in half, scoop out the middle, smear with butter, sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  bake at 375* in a shallow dish with 1/4 c water in the bottom, covered for 50 minutes.  then uncover and bake for another 10 minutes or so.

like i said, it was amazing. 
i love fall.
that's another thing i can put on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment